Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Upstate NY

Marcus had business meetings in Syracuse, and being that this is where he served his mission many moons ago, Zannah and I joined him for a weekend tour.

With our crazy storm-dodging luck, we headed out before a blizzard hit A-town and landed in the best weather NY could offer this time of year.
Zannah was so well-behaved on the flights out. Thank heavens, I was a little nervous about such a long trip by myself. And for being such a good girl, we laughed and took pictures of the little treat she left in Syracuse. "It's okay sweetie, better their tub than ours."

Day 1: Palmyra: home to the Joseph Smith family. Walked amongst the trees in the Sacred Grove, what an amazing feeling. Took a jaunt up Hill Cumorah. Coveted SOO many old farmhouses that I lost count.


Found my dream town: SKANEATELES. Marcus's pronunciation: Skinny-Atlas (which is correct). Lynsey's pronunciation: SkinAttles. Call it what you like, I need to live there. I just do.
Changed my language to encompass the phrases, "when we live in SkinAttles..." "I wonder how much houses cost in SkinAttles..." "what do you think you'll do for work in SkinAttles..." "I do hope the people like us in SkinAttles..." And Marcus played along, because he is awesome like that.

Day 2: Stopped in and visited a family that Marcus knew on his mission. For me, this was the best part of the trip. I'm so grateful that I could witness such a happy reunion and catch a glimpse of what Marcus did for 2 years.

Ate at the Bombay Duck Pickle. Marcus says I am envious of the couple who own this diner. Why, because they own this great historical building, live upstairs, work downstairs and renovated the entire thing, complete with original tin ceilings AND named the cafe after their deceased hedgehog? Maybe I'm a little jealous. But, being that they are running a cafe instead of a candy store and NOT in the city of SkinAttles, I'm not completely envious.

Such a great weekend! We are so blessed that Marcus made the decision to serve a mission. I loved sitting in the passenger seat while he remembered and reminisced.

And then Marcus took Zannah on her first carousel ride.

And then we came home and the snow had alread melted in A-town.

Sweet bombay duck pickle!

11 comments:

lizdye said...

SOOOO FUN!! I will live in Skinatlas with you. THat is awesome that Zannah was so good, how did you get so lucky? Well, love ya! Talk to you soonl

Welcome to Newman's World said...

That is wonderful that he was able to share that with his wife and daughter. I'm so glad you guys made it there safe and back but I know you would have loved the snow we got...I'm sure your hubby was more then happy to share that with you. Your a great Wife and Mother for doing that...(Hat's off to you)

Jen said...

Lynsey you crack me up. Love reading your blog. Glad you guys had a great trip. Mark can't wait to go back to Spain.

Kabe 'n Dave said...

Hahaha! Zannah's 1st bathtub chocolate drop...what a momumental day :) It sounds like the trip was amazing! BUT, I'm so glad you're back. As for you movin' to "SkinnyAttles" well we'll talk about that later little missy! Pretty sure Bombay Duck Pickle will be a great phrase to use when upset at v-ball...don't really know why. (Beat that, Jackie, Jordan, and Jamie!)

JDM said...

I forgot about the Wonka candy store that you plan to own. If you move back to K-town I will run it with you. I know the perfect place on main. What do you think?

Wendi said...

Lyns----you make me laugh--out loud! Great pictures. So glad the three of you had a great time!

Brad said...

did the duck pickle have amazing pickles? i am in search of the perfect pickle recipe? i'm so glad you had a great trip!

Maria said...

i did it again...durn that brad. i hope you weren't close to binghamton!

Tamara said...

Lynsey if you move to Skynatlas you will have to talk like a New Yorker. That would be awesome! Looks like a fun trip. I love the souvenier she left for housekeeping! What a surprise:0)

Jen said...

Hey Lynsey,

I just barely noticed you asked for my email. It's jennycheney@gmail.com.

Hope all is well. Oh yeah, and what a nice little present Z left in the tub. Thank goodness she is so darn cute!! :)

Amber and Matt said...

I am willing to move to Skin Attles too. I can't wait for a trip like that with Matt, one we have been planning for forever it seems. Zannah is getting so big, has she taken her first steps yet? Lincoln took for ever to walk, now we can't stop him. We miss you guys!