Monday, October 26, 2009

Memory Monday

I'm starting a new thing. It is called Memory Monday. I have not been a faithful journal-er at any point in my life (big regret). I am going to try and post a random memory, old or new, every MOnday.

One sunny, peaceful Sunday, Lex (younger brother) and I were driving home. I may have been a moody teenager and had a temper that was crazier than a fruit fly. Lex was quiet and mischevious. He was a button-pusher.

As we turned the corner for home, Lex backfired louder than the car we were in. I told him to knock it off or he was walking home. Less than 1/8 of a mile down the road and another rumble was heard from the passenger side. The white boat (which looked a lot like the car below) came to a screeching halt in front of our nearest neighbors house, who also happened to be our Bishop at the time.




I screamed at Lex to get out of the car. No budge. I put the car in park and started pushing him out. Without the slightest indication that he was getting out, Lex started laughing, knowing only as a brother does, that this will send me into a fiery rampage. A blur of long hair and church attire jumped out of the car and began to drag Lex out of the passenger side. I was 15 or 16 at the time and physically could still hold my own with Lex who was 3 years younger. As soon as he was on the ground, I ran back to the driver's side and tried to drive off, but Lex easily slid back into the passenger seat with time to spare.

My pride was injured. I can still feel the anger bubbling up in my chest, my jaw muscles clenching, and tears swelling in my eyes. And there sat Lex, smug and victorious.

A game of cat and mouse quickly pursued. I would chase Lex around and around the white boat, through the white boat and, yes, even up and over the white boat. If we ever met up in the middle, a cross between a wrestling match and a chicken fight would start.

I wish I could say that I admitted my defeat only because our neighbors had gathered at the front window to watch the spectacle, but he won, fair and square.


It's good to know that some things change.

And some things don't. :)

10 comments:

Charlotte said...

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

Maria said...

my cousin would do the same exact thing to the back of her bro's pants while we were branding. now i know why! was your 'boat' diesel?...many a memories were made in a car like that we had around! bad for tp'ing though...too loud! keep up memory monday; your stories are hilarious!!!

Jen said...

you are a feisty one, aren't you?

I love that you are writing these memories down. I keep talking about doing this with my blog too, but I haven't yet. Maybe now I will. :)

Trev "N" Dez said...

That is SOOO funny!

Wendi said...

Keep'em coming! You guys seemed like the model family when you showed up at mom and dad's for family gatherings, always getting along. This is priceless! Has lex seen this blog entry?

TiffaniS said...

I'm sitting here thinking Lynsey? Temper? Really? What a great picture you painted! Layne and I have been cracking up!! Too Funny!

JDM said...

Everyone has felt the anger that only a button pusher can raise in a person. It's infuriating!
But it's all fine because look who's laughing now!

Kristyn said...

Thanks for the good laugh! I can totally picture that cat and mouse game playing out with your voice getting higher and higher. Too funny!!

monica said...

Justin and I are laughing til it hurts! We can't wait until next monday. OH My Gosh! That story was the BEST!

Tamara said...

ROTFL! (Gotta have the lingo these days) I love that story. I can see both of you and especially Lex just fueling the fire and loving every minute of it.

What a great idea. I also regret not keeping a journal. I just don't have any funny stories.