Sunday, December 1, 2013

Good times at the Organ

My latest calling in church is playing the organ. Our ward was very desperate when they issued the calling. Nonetheless I have enjoyed it as I get to sit up at the front and stare at people (one of my most favorite pastimes). But, I'm afraid more times than naught, I have been the recipient of many a stare. Here are a few organ stories:

*During the silence of the Sacrament being passed, Zannah decides to share some very important information with me from the pew: "MOM! I want to be a witch for Halloween!" I give her the shush sign and nod my head yes, hoping that will pacify her. "MOM!!! I really want to be a witch for Halloween, not an M&M!" I give her the thumbs up. "MOM!! I don't want to be an M&M, ok? I really, really want to be a witch!" The ward, including myself got it Z-meister.

*During prelude one Sunday, Max escapes from Marcus's grip. He just wants to tell me something and to sit with me on the bench, but not before he steps on every possible foot pedal he can.

*Today, I was feeling pretty smug after the Sacrament hymn as I had just finished the last verse with very few blunders. I even ended the notes right on cue with the chorister. Then there was silence. Too much silence. I look up and they are still breaking the bread and I am getting stares from the bread-breakers and the bishopric. So I clumsily start to play another verse of the hymn, but in my haste I play on the "Great" keys instead of the "Swell" keys, which was set really loud for the opening hymn of "Joy to the World". I barely get the first measure played when I notice they are now done breaking the bread. But, I am not too quick on my feet, or hands I should say, to end the song in any decent fashion. So I just play a really loud, boisterous Sacrament hymn solo with many mistakes mixed in because my sweaty hands are sliding all over the place. No staring for me today, I kept my head down.

6 comments:

Angela S said...

Oh my goodness! Total respect for doing a calling so "public" where you feel inadequate. I didn't even know you played piano. Did you much here or was it a more hidden talent. I could just be not observant.

Maria said...

Oh my word that is hilarious! I played in college but if I tried it now it would be terrible! One of my most embarrassing moments happened during the organ calling. Remind me to tell you sometime! Great empathy my friend...:)

Jacob said...

Bwa, ha, ha!!! I want to be in your ward.

Jacob said...

Oops, it's me, Charlotte, not Jake. I hate when he forgets to sign out of his google account.

Kabe 'n Dave said...

I FEEL YOUR PAIN MY FRIEND! :) I, too, have many a story about organ blunders...and I'm sure I'm going to have many many more.

Wendi said...

After playing opening prelude on Sunday the bishop got up to to the welcome info and I lost my balance and fell forward. Luckily I only hit one note. It was a really high pitched note. Without even breaking stride the bishop said "oh excuse me", like he had just tooted. The ward bust up laughing, including me, but I sure had a red face! My girls hit a lot of notes and stepped on pedals when they were little also. Good times.