Friday, September 4, 2015

For Crying Out Loud

Stop calling the cops on me.  We live on a relatively quiet street, one block from the elementary school.  The only time our street is busy is at school drop off and pick up times.  Maybe I'm living two decades behind, but I still believe in my kids playing out in the yard, riding their bikes up and down the sidewalk and you bet your buns, Zannah and Max are old enough to cross the street and play with the 4 kids who live directly across from us.
The picture above is what was going down in our yard yesterday when 2 cops showed up.  They verified a parent was indeed around and left. I was just relieved this year there were only 2.  Last year 3 cops knocked on my door because it was reported that kids were riding their bikes across the street.  The outrage!  The disgust!  Of all ridiculous things kids could be doing! Instead of playing mindless video games, or staring at the tube (which mine do plenty of), instead of texting or sexting, or face booking, these kids are outside making potions with dirt and water, swinging, riding bikes, playing soccer and football.  I wanted to handcuff myself once I really thought about the good for nothing job I'm doing round here.

I've narrowed it down to 2 possibilities.  Either it was just a concerned citizen who drove by or Mrs. Wilson, our next door neighbor.   The drive-by I guess could be an innocent, concerned person, albeit a lazy one.  Next time you want to do a good deed, start by knocking on the door yourself, or maybe just look around and see the grandparent standing on the lawn right across the street or assume the best as it is kids who are old enough to play in the yard unaccompanied by an adult.  Now, if my 5 year old is snorting crack, please call the cops.  

Mrs. Wilson is just crabby enough to do it.  In times past, such as when my kids were climbing her evergreen tree, or peering over her fence, she has come over and yelled at them herself. She didn't leave me out of the bum-licking either.  It doesn't make sense she would call the cops.  She has the guts to deal with it herself.  Although, I think she has a secret tiny bit of "like"in her for me, but I gather she doesn't give a flying rip about the neighbors across the street.  In that case, maybe she would make the call if it was mixed company.  

That's as far as my detective skills have taken me.  I have a blog in the works entitled "Bat Crazy".  It is a real life look into my bat crazy mom side. This takes hold after bedtime when kids are not in bed and I can't handle one more second of loudness and demands and basically seeing any person under 48 inches tall.  If someone were to witness that, then a call to the cops may be justified.  Otherwise, put the phone down.         

No comments: