Sunday, November 13, 2016

Pregnancy

I was terrible about documenting my pregnancy.  But, I'll write what I remember.  The transfer was unremarkable.  The initial blood numbers were great, but the second set of numbers weren't great. We prepared ourselves for a possible chemical pregnancy.  The third set of numbers were excellent and we were relieved that it had taken.  At 5 1/2 weeks, I scanned myself and was shocked to see 2 embryo sacs.  I left the hospital and didn't go home.  I called my mom and told her the news and told her how scared I was to tell Marcus.  I was also very smug, as I wanted 5 kids and Marcus barely conceded to a fourth and that was after a handshake and a promise that this would be our last.  I felt that this was meant to be and a good lesson for him for trying to tell me what to do. I went and bought him so Mountain Dew and cinnamon bears and came home and told him the news.  He was shocked, but took it rather well.  The next 3 weeks were pure excitement.  It's amazing what imprints on your heart in such a short amount of time.  Name picking, room planning, wrapping our heads around 5 kids, it was just thrilling to think about twins!  Because of my profession, I was paranoid about a vanishing twin.  Which is where one twin dies in the first trimester.  I asked at my 7 week ultrasound and the PA told me she had never seen one occur at their clinic. This put my mind at ease. I was also paranoid that both yolk sacs were measuring large. I emailed my concerns to the clinic and they were also concerned but all we could do was wait and watch. I scanned myself at 8 1/2 weeks and there was only one heartbeat.  I was devastated.  I was also very concerned that because both gestational sacs, yolk sacs and crown rump lengths had been measuring the same and progressing the same that it was likely the other baby may demise as well.  I was also concerned about aborting the demised twin and it affecting the living baby.  Some people miscarry the twin and some don't.  It was such a relief to see that little heartbeat each time I checked.  I never did miscarry the twin.  I could see that little gestational sac with the fetal body floating around in it up until around 20 weeks and was and still is a source of sadness.

I felt I handled my shots this time around better and braver than I ever had before.  Nausea went away into the second trimester.  A new pregnancy symptom appeared this time in the form of painful varicose veins.  Charlotte sent me her compression hose and I wore those beasts on the affected leg the rest of my pregnancy.  I craved chomping on ice and smelling/eating dishwasher detergent just like with Metta.  I did resist eating the detergent.

I was way more tired this time around.  That could be because we listed our house for sale and I was having to keep it show ready clean with 3 little monsters running a muck.  Our house sold quicker than planned.  I felt a sense of urgency to get something rented ASAP.  We did so and I cleaned it from top to bottom while Marcus was out of town and moved a fair amount of our stuff by myself, so it came as no surprise to me that my water broke at 37 weeks and only days after we moved into the rental.    

  

No comments: