~Memory Monday~
I'm pretty sure all of my dating days I was considered the AWKWARD datee. Just a hug would make my heart shudder and my stomach fall to the floor. Physical contact was off-limits people, blame my parents, that's just how we were raised. Did a hug mean he liked me more than I liked him? Was it just a simple friendly gesture?? Was I going to have to make one of those head dodges if a kiss was tried next??? I have done a kiss dodge and it's better to avoid those at all costs. I was more of a shake hands at the end of a date, which I did on one of my first dates at college. (Poor nice boy who thought it would be fun to take me out.) Needless to say I never dated much. Thank goodness Marcus came along and somehow thought my "Little House on The Prairie" attributes were attractive.
Back to my first date. I had just turned 16, still had braces on, and my first kiss was still 2 years away. I thought boys were cute, but sports and hunting were still first on my list. Of course getting asked to Prom was important and especially exciting as a Sophomore, but that's where the excitement ended. I had no idea how to do my hair, make-up had never touched my face, and a prom dress and high heels are just as awkward as wearing nothing but your underwear.
My date was a respectable gentleman: nice, cute, and had good lineage. Let's just say picking me up for the date was probably the highlight of his entire evening. There was nothing wrong with him, the group we went with, or the dance itself, other than I just wanted to go home and go to bed. I was completely out of my element and I didn't like it. I knew the plans were to go to someone's house after the dance and watch a movie. Sitting close to a boy on a couch during a 2 hour movie sounded like getting a cavity filled, so I lied. I said that my parents told me I had to be home by midnight. I saw the disappointment in his face, not because he wanted my company, because it is embarrassing to show up to the after-party without your date. But, his feelings weren't a concern of mine at the time.
He pulled into my driveway and delivered the line I deserved and the line that would give Charlotte and I non-stop laughs for the next 12 years.
"Date's over, get your own door."
And I did. Gladly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
SERIOUSLY?!! "Get your own door"?! He said that? I so love your memory mondays!
I'm not going to full out defend the guy, but I can see where he's coming from.
Wow, yeah that would def bring laughs for years and years!
I want to know WHO that was????? I'm trying to think back to the year and I can't think who you went with!! CRAP I really want to know, I LIKE HIM for that line!!! So funny!
oh my gosh, Lynsey, this is hilarious. I can't believe he really said that to you.
ha ha ha...I'm still laughing. That is such a funny (and mean) thing to say.
You are way better than that!
Don't worry about the recipes. I will email you the compilation of the ones I gathered from everyone else. I'm not done putting them all together, so it will probably be later this week...so, you could still email me one (or two), but you don't have to. I'll email you the completed list anyway. :)
That is awesome! You have the funniest stories!
Please be sure and tell the one of you and marcus going to the movie when you were dating.
Lynsey you are my hero!
I told Curtis this story today and we both had a great laugh.
Ok, you have to tell us about Marcus and what happened at the movies. I love bad/funny/awkward dating stories. I have a few of my own. :)
what's up with the little house on the prairie style? my parents did that to me to! i am still laughing...at least you went to prom :)!
Of course, you broke the poor guys heart! He had high hopes just by you saying yes to the date and then you take his heart and do the Mexican Hat dance on it. Too funny!
Post a Comment