Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Urban Farmers




We have chickens!  Friends of ours were moving and offered us their 4 chickens and their coop.  We couldn't pass it up.  Marcus was skeptical as I was the one who picked up that free kitten two years ago and then demanded he find it a new home a year and a half later.  I just couldn't handle the hair all over the stroller seats (where it slept outside) and the midnight escapades with other cats we could hear going on in our garage at night.  And to give credit where credit is due, Marcus was the only one who fed and watered Littlefoot.  But this time was going to be different, I had a back-up plan.  My dad said he would take them if we couldn't handle them.  I was just sure that this would be the perfect set-up to teach the kids a little bit of work.  We let them free-range all over the back yard for one week.  Too much poop everywhere!  So, we fenced them in the garden area.  It has been perfect.  The kids feed and water them each day and gather eggs.  So far, we get two eggs a day.  We were told in the summer that number will go up. 

They are friendly chickens and the kids can usually catch them.  They also composted all my leftover zuchinnis in the garden and eat most of our table scraps.  If you look at the last picture that is taken from my bedroom window.  That is the best part!  I don't even have to leave the house to oversee the kiddos feeding and gathering.  And I throw our table scraps right out the window. 

I like this urban farming thing. 

1 comment:

Angela S said...

That window is great and sure nice for throwing out scraps. I have a nasty bowl full next to my sink! :) Thanks for all the updates. They are wonderful!